First results for Bordeaux at the GDS-Index
Bordeaux Convention Bureau joined the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index) in 2019. Bordeaux is now part of a global destination sustainability movement, that seeks to engage, inspire and enable urban centres to become more regenerative places to visit, meet and thrive in.
The GDS-Index is delighted to announce that Bordeaux has become the 49th city to join the movement. As such, the city will actively participate in the collaborative platform to:
- Benchmark the sustainability of their destination and their meeting and events industry
- Improve the sustainability strategy of their Convention Bureau and Destination ManagementOrganizations
- Increase awareness and mainstream the integration of the 17 Sustainable Development Goalsinto their destinations' events and visitor economy.
- Inspire clients to prize destinations with solid event sustainability initiatives
- Share their responsible business initiatives and best practices with their clients, peers and theworld
After a first in-depth benchmark in 2019, Bordeaux has been ranked the 36th most sustainable city for events in the world. Amélie Déchénais, Bordeaux Convention Bureau Manager comments that: “Bordeaux is proud to be part of the GDS-Index. We strongly believe that it is more essential than ever to expand our actions for sustainable development in the events industry. The Bordeaux Convention Bureau aims to be a powerful driver of this transition, involving our local actors – already very active in this field – and improving the whole experience of our business travellers.”
Guy Bigwood, Managing Director for the GDS-Index comments: “Bordeaux, aside of being a touristic hotspot for wine aficionados, is also a world class host for large meetings and events. The city’s drive to make these more sustainable is commendable, and we are glad to help Bordeaux to develop a better sustainable destination strategy, improve their performance and share their tactics for change globally.”